The modern abbey, which was begun in 1950, contains a small museum of prints, portraits, letters and memorabilia arranged around the foundress's tomb. Many of them were personal gifts to the congregation during the Restoration from Marie-Thérèse of France, duchess of Angoulême.
|Museum of the Abbey St Louis-du-Temple Vauhallan :|
Above: Relics of Louise-Adélaïde de Bourbon-Condé, foundress of the abbey
Below: Cabinet containing a statue and memorabilia of Marie-Antoinette
Here are some highlights:
Portraits of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette
Two oils by Jean-Baptiste-Francois Battaglini, the first a copy of Danloux's painting of Louis XVI writing his Testament, now in Versailles, and the second depicting Marie-Antoinette in the Conciergerie. The two pictures were bought by the duchesse d'Angoulême at the Salons of 1819 and 1822 respectively and presented to the Convent.
Rug created by Marie-Antoinette and Madame Elisabeth
The work, which was intended for the Throne Room of the Tuileries Palace, was begun in 1791 and probably continued in the Temple. It is described as a tapisserie but it is stitched on canvas, so in English it would be a needlepoint.
A small very well-preserved framed fragment was sold by Drouot in December 2008.
Drouot, Sale of 17th December 2008 [Lot 111]
There are various other pieces of needlework by either Marie-Antoinette or the duchesse d'Angoulême, including this chair cover:
A jug used by Louis XVII in the Temple
Website of the Abbey St-Louis-du-Temple http://www.abbaye-limon-vauhallan.com/
"Eductour" with photos, Office de Tourisme de Savigny sur Orge
Account of a visit to Vauhallan by the Association Louis XVII