|cc-by-sa/2.0 - © Ian Capper - geograph.org.uk/p/4047481|
|Juniper Hall c. 1844, |
Sketch in Dorking Museum
The house had originally been a coaching inn, the Royal Oak alehouse. Sir Cecil Bisshopp (d.1779), who purchased the estate in 1762, had it converted into a residence, adding two wings, a classical portico and tall arched windows. In 1779 the estate was sold to Mr David Jenkinson, an affluent lottery-keeper, who built himself a new house on the down opposite Norbury; no doubt he was pleased to find suitable tenants.
Today the house is owned by the National Trust and is used as a Field Studies Council residential centre.
The only surviving 18th-century feature of the house is the drawing room, decorated with delicate plasterwork in Robert Adams style. In all probability this is the work of Lady Templeton, a gifted amateur artist who worked with Wedgewood. Swags and garlands, in white and gold and pastel colours, frame sculpted panels of showing classical scenes. The centrepiece is a tall carved fireplace in grey and white marble. The plaque on the wall above represents "Friendship comforting Affliction", one of Lady Templeton's favourite themes.
|The Templeton Room, Juniper Hall|
Field Studies Council - Juniper Hall, virtual tour
Historic England - Listing for Juniper Hall.
Plans and "Heritage Statement" for proposed alterations at Juniper Hall, April 2018
Nicholas Lapthorn, "A brief history of Juniper Hall" on Le Prince de Talleyrand [website]
Burford Corner, Westhumble. The modest cottage where Mme de Broglie once stayed is/was behind this main building.